What are the basic rules of the auto auction when bidding
ON-SITE in Portland, Oregon & Hillsboro?
(Please click on the Bidding Info tab for rules in online bidding) All new auto auction buyers are required a bidder card that is good for one year. New bidder cost is $20 and good for a year. The renewal fee is $20.
1. There is a 15% buyers fee on all vehicles.
2. There is a $100.00 CASH deposit required on all winning bids up to $999. Anything over $1000 to $2999 needs a $300 deposit and $3000 and above needs a $500 deposit.
3. Every vehicle is “As-Is, Where-Is” there are no warranties. Once you place the bid, the vehicle is yours.
4. Whoever signs in with their ID is who the vehicle’s paperwork will be under. If you want the paperwork to be under a different name, you must have them sign in with their ID and bid with their own number.
5. We are required to scrape all current DEQ tags. If you had current tags, you can go to DMV- pay a minimal fee and get new tags. This way you do not need to go through DEQ.
6. All vehicles must be paid for BEFORE 4:30pm and picked up BEFORE 5:00 pm on auction day, or they will be assessed a fee of $50 per day.
7. You are bidding on the vehicle with the cone on it- If you are bidding on a vehicle without a cone on it, you are bidding on the wrong vehicle and you will lose your deposit.
8. Your auction list will be divided into sections, there will be “Non-Runners” these vehicles DO NOT RUN. On your list will be “Runs and drives.” These vehicles have been driven up and down our lot only. Once you place your bid on the vehicle, it is yours. There are no warranties on these vehicles.
9. Some vehicles have a reserve price that the seller needs to sell the vehicle. If the reserve is not met, we do not sell the vehicle, even if you are the high bidder.
10. You can start paying for your vehicles around 12:15 on auction day depending on what car you bid on, and pick up the keys once the auction is over. Payments must be Cash, Credit or Debit. There are no extra fees for using your credit/debit card.
11. Have Fun!!!!
How much to sell my car at your auction?
You must have a title in your name for us to sell the vehicle, exception is for licensed dealers only. We will sell your car for $100 sellers fee up . Please call to confirm we have room.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have cars just for sale?
No, we don’t sell cars like a used car lot. Instead we have regularly scheduled public auctions. Every Tuesday. We do not SELL cars any other way.
Will you sell my car for me?
Yes! Call the auction and see where we can slide your car in.
What if I don’t want the whole car, can I just buy some parts off one?
You purchase the whole vehicle. It is your responsibility to remove it from our facility and then either register it in your name or legally dispose of it at a salvage yard after you have removed any parts you might have kept.
Do I need to register for the auto auction? Does it cost money?
We do require you to register with a valid ID. It cost $20 and is good for one year, unless you lose it.
After purchasing a vehicle, do I receive a title?
It depends. If the vehicle was towed, most likely you will receive a lien certificate, if it is a donation or consignment vehicle a title is most likely included. The auction list clearly shows what kind of title info is included with the vehicle.
Can I preview the vehicles before the auction?
Previewing is done on Monday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on Tuesday (auction day) from 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Hillsboro Wednesday 10-2 Thursday 8-9:30
Do the vehicles have keys?
Not all vehicles have keys. We have a lock smith that comes on Tuesday and he will make keys for you if the vehicle does not have them. The customer is responsible for payment to the locksmith for the key.
Can I test drive an auction vehicle?
You may start the vehicle, but liability issues prevent us from allowing a test drive. We drive all “Runners” through the auction
When is the actual auction?
Order of vehicles will follow the list provided. The list is subject to change without notice.
How do I know which vehicle I am bidding on?
The vehicle with the bright orange cone on it.
What sort of payment do you accept?
Full payment is expected immediately following the auction, CASH and CREDIT CARD are accepted.
I am nervous about participating in an oral auction, what sort of protocol am I expected to follow?
Keep your registered bidder number handy, you will be asked for it if you are the highest bidder on a vehicle. Be mindful of your hand, head or other body motions. You don’t want to be mistaken for placing a bid when you meant to just scratch your ear! Pay attention and speak up if you are not being noticed. Every attempt will be made to spot all interested bidders, but once the vehicle is announced “sold”, the final decision is left up to the auctioneer on whether all bidding ceases. If you do not plan on staying for the entire auction, exit quietly, being considerate of those still participating in the auction.
How long do I have to remove a vehicle I purchased?
Vehicles must be removed from our facility before 5:00 p.m. on the day of the auction or they will be assessed a $25 storage fee per day (up to three days). Vehicles not paid for before 4:30 p.m. on auction day will be assessed a $25 late fee. Vehicles must be removed from our premises. You cannot just move it outside the fence to pick up at your convenience. After 72 hours, all sold vehicles left on our premises will be disposed of
Can I work on a vehicle in your yard after purchasing it so that I can drive it away?
Working on vehicles in our yard is strictly prohibited. You are limited to changing a tire for purposes of transporting or driving the vehicle. Prolonged attempts to get a vehicle running in order to drive it away are not to be done on our property. For insurance purposes, the work must be done on your property! There is no use of our tools, so don’t even ask.
What if I can’t remove the vehicle?
Speed’s Towing is available to tow your vehicles at a specified discounted rate. Please give them a call at 503-234-5555.
I lost the lien paperwork you gave me, what do I do now?
There is a $40 fee for processing a request for duplicate paperwork. You must provide the MAKE, MODEL, YR, PLATE and DATE of the auction. If you do not have the correct date, an additional $10 will be charged for every month we have to “search” for your vehicle. Duplicate paperwork is just what it means, DUPLICATE. We will not remake paperwork to any individual other than the one noted in our records. Requests for duplicate paperwork are usually fulfilled within seven (7) days. PAYMENT must be made in advance. If additional “searching” is needed because of incorrect information provided, you can pay those fees at the time of pickup.
When buying a vehicle that show lien or power of attorney, Vehicles must be titled in Oregon. NO other state will accept Oregon possessory lien paperwork. The State of Washington will not take Oregon’s Power of Attorney paper.