What are the basic rules of the auto auction in Portland, OR when bidding ***ONLINE***?
(Please click on the Rules/FAQ tab for rules in on-site auto auction bidding)
Guide to bidding online:
How to participate in the live auction:
1. There is a 17% buyers fee on all vehicles. With a $20 processing fee per vehicle. For example, if you won the bid at $500, plus $85 for the buyers fee, plus $20 processing fee- your total comes to: $605 (the buyers fee changes depending on your winning bid amount).
2. There is a yearly activation fee when you register to bid for an auction of $10 to confirm the validity of your credit card info. If you buy a vehicle online you will be charged a deposit if you do not pick up the vehicle after winning the bid.
3. Every vehicle is “As-Is, Where-Is” there are no warranties. Once you place the bid, the vehicle is yours.
4. Whoever signs in with their username and password is who the vehicle’s paperwork will be under and a deposit will be charged.
5. We are required to scrape all current DEQ tags. If you had current tags, you can go to DMV- pay a minimal fee and get new tags. This way you do not need to go through DEQ.
6. A deposit will be charged IMMEDIATELY at the time of the winning bid. This deposit goes toward the purchase price of the vehicle. Payments must be a valid Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover. The card information must be correct and align with your billing information to bid on our auction. There are no extra fees for using your credit/debit card. The remaining balance must be paid when picking up the vehicle. You may pick up the car and keys as soon as the auction is over.
7. All vehicles must be paid for and picked up BEFORE 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday (the day following auction), or they will be assessed a fee of $50 per 24 hours. Any vehicle left on auction property after noon on Friday will be considered abandoned and assessed towing fees for impounding them back into the auction property.
8. You are bidding on the vehicle shown on your bid page- ****NOTE: We Do NOT guarantee the accuracy of the picture you are shown or information provided. If it is a different vehicle then the picture you are seeing we will notify you in the notes area what the true vehicle is- you are not required to bid on it at that time if you do not agree to these terms.*****
9. Your auto auction list will be divided into sections, there will be “Non-Runners”- these vehicles DO NOT RUN. “Runs and Drives”- these vehicles have been driven up and down our lot only. Once you place your bid on the vehicle, it is yours. You agree and understand you are liable for all bids placed by your username and password- regardless of wether you have inspected the vehicle before purchase or not. There are no returns, and no refunds given.
10. Some vehicles have a reserve price that the seller needs to sell the vehicle. If the reserve is not met, we do not sell the vehicle, ecen if you are the high bidder.
11. Have Fun!!!!
Frequently Asked Questions
How does bidding online work?
You must first register to bid online. You will need to include all your information, including payment information. You will receive an email requiring email verification. Once you click on that link, you will be available for us to activate and accept into the online bidding. On the day of the auction make sure you log in and confirm you are accepted to bid by going into the auto auction and clicking on the first car and then going into the “Live Auction” tab as soon as the auction starts. You should see a box that you can click to bid whatever the asking price is at that moment. At this time if you are not able to bid, you will need to contact the auction immediately at 503-408-0545. From there, once you are able to bid, you may now feel free to bid on whichever items you would like for as high as you would like to bid. As soon as you get the winning bid, your account will be charged and there are no refunds. You may then arrange for pick up as soon as the auction is over! Please read #7 on the auction rules for details regarding pickup of vehicles.
Do you have cars just for sale?
No, we don’t sell cars like a used car lot. Instead we have a regularly scheduled public auto auction in Portland, OR every Tuesday. We do not SELL cars any other way.
Will you sell my car for me?
It depends on how full our auction is. Call the auto auction on Wednesdays to see if we have any openings.
What if I don’t want the whole car, can I just buy some parts off one?
You purchase the whole vehicle. It is your responsibility to remove it from our facility and then either register it in your name or legally dispose of it at a salvage yard after you have removed any parts you might have kept.
Do I need to register for the auto auction? Does it cost money?
We do require you to register with a valid ID and payment information. Your card will be charged automatically with every winning bid. The fees are a 17% buyers fee, and a $20 processing fee for each vehicle you get the winning bid on.
After purchasing a vehicle, do I receive a title?
It depends. If the vehicle was towed, most likely you will receive a lien certificate. If it is a donation or consignment vehicle a title is most likely included. The auction list clearly shows what kind of title info is included with the vehicle.
Can I preview the vehicles before the auction?
Previewing is done on the day of the auction after you have been registered. The preview time runs from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Do the vehicles have keys?
Not all vehicles have keys. We have a locksmith that comes on Tuesday, and he will make keys for you if the vehicle does not have them. The customer is responsible for payment to the locksmith for the key.
Can I test drive an auction vehicle?
You may start the vehicle, but liability issues prevent us from allowing a test drive. We drive all “Runners” through the auction.
When is the actual auction?
The auctions begin at 9:30 a.m. sharp. Order of vehicles will follow the list provided. The list is subject to change without notice.
How do I know which vehicle I am bidding on?
The vehicle with the bright orange cone on it.
What sort of payment do you accept?
CASH and CREDIT CARD
I am nervous about participating in an oral auction, what sort of protocol am I expected to follow?
Keep your registered bidder number handy, you will be asked for it if you are the highest bidder on a vehicle. Be mindful of your hand, head or other body motions. You don’t want to be mistaken for placing a bid when you meant to just scratch your ear! Pay attention and speak up if you are not being noticed. Every attempt will be made to spot all interested bidders, but once the vehicle is announced “sold,” the final decision is left up to the auctioneer on whether all bidding ceases. If you do not plan on staying for the entire auction, exit quietly, being considerate of those still participating in the auction.
How long do I have to remove a vehicle I purchased?
Vehicles must be removed from our facility before 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday for online bidders or they will be assessed a $25 storage fee per day (up to three days). Vehicles not paid for before 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday will be assessed a $25 late fee. Vehicles must be removed from our premises. You cannot just move it outside the fence to pick up at your convenience. After 72 hours, all sold vehicles left on our premises will be disposed of (no refunds).
Can I work on a vehicle in your yard after purchasing it so that I can drive it away?
Working on vehicles in our yard is strictly prohibited. You are limited to changing a tire for purposes of transporting or driving the vehicle. Prolonged attempts to get a vehicle running in order to drive it away are not to be done on our property. For insurance purposes, the work must be done on your property! There is no use of our tools, so don’t even ask.
What if I can’t remove the vehicle?
Speed’s Towing is available to tow your vehicles at a specified discounted rate. Please give them a call at 503-234-5555.
I lost the lien paperwork you gave me, what do I do now?
There is a $40 fee for processing a request for duplicate paperwork. You must provide the MAKE, MODEL, YR, PLATE and DATE of the auction. If you do not have the correct date, an additional $10 will be charged for every month we have to “search” for your vehicle. Duplicate paperwork is just what it means, DUPLICATE. We will not remake paperwork to any individual other than the one noted in our records. Requests for duplicate paperwork are usually fulfilled within seven (7) days. PAYMENT must be made in advance. If additional “searching” is needed because of incorrect information provided, you can pay those fees at the time of pickup.